Learning & Education
Date of Award: 25 June 1914
The Island of Timor is the farthest east of the continuous series of the Sunda Islands and the nearest to Australia. The eastern part of the island was Portuguese. The western part of the island was under the sovereignty of the Netherlands. In order to clearly and exactly determine their possessions on the island, the two Governments had concluded several agreements. The delimitation had allowed a Portuguese “enclave”, Oikussi-Ambeno, located on the north west coast of the island in the midst of Dutch territory, to remain in existence.
Following a disagreement between the Dutch and Portuguese commissioners in 1909 as to the way in which the boundary was to be surveyed, the two Governments decided to resort to arbitration.
The publication of this award and related documents on the Hague Justice Portal has been made possible with the ongoing support and co-operation of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague. Please note, the French is the official version of this Award.